Since 1923 the STAHLGRUBER group has been delivering top quality for satisfied customers. Today subsidiaries and agents represent the brand REMA TIP TOP in over 170 countries around the globe. The continual expansion of national and international market activities and the expansion and optimization of the sales structure, service and product range guarantee customers the best possible performance.
Come with us on a 90-year journey through time
1923 - The beginning
In 1923 the brothers Otto and Willy Gruber found a joint company. The brothers’ first trade in screws and small metal parts under the name Otto Gruber & Co., but soon start selling compressors and lift platforms.
1928 - The term „Stahlgruber“
Steel, a more modern material, increasingly replaces conventional iron. The Gruber brothers therefore include steel screws and bolts in their commercial program. The term "Stahlgruber" soon comes into common use and this is finally adopted and retained as the company name.
Increasing transport mechanization also extends the circle of customers. New car repair workshops are opened up everywhere. Stahlgruber becomes the leading trade supplier of automobile accessories, tools and workshop equipment.
1935 - A real market niche
Otto Gruber & Co. KG, headquartered in Munich, is founded.
The Grubers discover a real market niche when visiting a vulcanizing operation. Up to this point, tyre repair material has been laboriously cut out by hand from old tyres. No alternative is been available on the market up until this point.
1937 - Tyre patches
The Gruber brothers decide to produce inner tube patches. This is followed in 1938 by inner sleeves and tyre patches. The breakthrough, however, comes shortly after the end of the war with the development of a cold vulcanization material that for the first time permits a temperature-resistant tube repair.
1938 - The name
During a product trial, Willy Gruber exclaims: "This is tip-top!" and thus creates the name of an idea whose fulfillment one day led to the conquest of the world market.
1944 - Increase in demand
Things continually improve. Due to the ongoing increase in demand, a production facility is set up in the town of Fuerstenzell in Bavaria.
1949 - Record level
The millionth inner tube patch is manufactured.
1950 - First agencies abroad
Stahlgruber opens its first agencies abroad (Italy, Japan), production runs at full capacity. The trading portfolio, comprising car parts, accessories, tools and workshop equipment, is continually extended. Both the services offered and international involvements also increase strongly.
1954 - Poing
The Poing factory is opened
1960 - Expansion
A new production facility is opened in Desdorf, near Cologne. The first jointly-owned companies abroad are founded.
1965 - Wear protection
Product development gets underway: Wear protection material is developed.
1969 - New headquarters
The first vulcanization machines are produced. The new headquarters in Munich is opened.
In addition, the Stahlgruber Foundation is set up according to the last will and testament of Otto and Willy Gruber, its purpose being the training of young craftspeople for the automobile and vulcanization trade.
1990 - New processing plants
Expansion is rapid in the new eastern German states. The processing plants Borna, Schwarze Pumpe, Neuruppin and Wittenberg are set up.
2002 - From Munich to Poing
The entire company moves its location from Munich to Poing.
2007 - Foundation of the GmbH
REMA TIP TOP GmbH is founded.
2008 - Merges into AG
Merges into STAHLGRUBER Otto Gruber AG.
2009 - South Africa
Founding of the LSCE Logistic Service Center Europe. Acquisition of Dunlop Belting (Pty.) Ltd., South Africa.
2010 - Alfa Development
Consolidation of the manufacturing and development departments into the independent alfa DEVELOPMENT GmbH.
2011 - Latin America
REMA TIP TOP Latin America SPA is founded.
2014 - New Milestone
A further milestone in the history of the Company: REMA TIP TOP trades as a non-listed stock corporation as of 2014.